The normal Shango incense given in observances will literally clear a room, so it is usually burned outside. One may not want to go to such extremes in every occasion. So here is a milder version I call “Shango Smoulders”.
You will need:
- 3 coffee beans
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red chilli powder
- a handful of benzoin chips
- a handful of dragon’s blood
- a handful of cinnamon chips
- a handful of sandalwood
- 30 cloves
- a handful of chopped cypress “leaves”
- a good pinch of deer musk
Mix, and grind the ingredients together as coarsely or finely as you prefer. During your daily or weekly observance, give a little to Eshu, and then some to Shango.
Here is a batch of incense made by one of my students, Arden: